Yes Ladies and Gentlemen, I cut my hair ! I had a MAJOR setback after a hairstylist at a photoshoot I was on decided he could achieve a certain hairstyle using my real hair, and that was the last time my hair was ever normal again. “Did he achieve the hairstyle?” you ask… NOPE! I suddenly started experiencing severe hair loss in the back of my head, like literally all the relaxed bits of hair in that area fell off, all I had left was my new growth. I ran to the only person in Lagos I trust wth my hair, Dabs of NaijaHairCanGrow, she owns a salon here in Lagos called SavvyChic, so she came up with a strategy: to stretch my relaxer until June 2017, and then Big-Chop. This was like in October 2016, I thought “June is a loooong way away” and my hair starts breaking exactly 12 weeks post relaxer, so I already knew I wasn’t going to be patient enough. I tried to manage it 3-4months after, but in March I rang Dabs up and said I was going in for a big trim, but while sat in the chair at Dabs’ salon I asked for all my relaxed ends to be cut off and that was how I unceremoniously big-chopped. The picture above is literally seconds after the last bit of relaxed hair was snipped.
I have had my hair relaxed pretty-much all my life, so I had no idea what my natural hair looked or felt like. It’s been an interesting journey so far, I am currently looking for hair products that I can use to grow my hair, and also get my curls to ‘pop’. It’s all a bit strange to be honest, I kind of need it to grow past this stage and then I feel like I’d have some fun.
So now that I am #TeamNatural, I thought to make this list of things you will not catch me doing:
- Rocking a TWA (Teeny-Weeny-Afro)….. Nah, son!
- Give up hair extensions… yeah right
- Pay so much attention to my hair growth and become so obsessed… bloody hope not
- Only ever use ‘natural’ products and oils in my hair…. my scalp is even allergic to shea butter
- Telling everybody else to go natural
- Talking about my hair all the time
- Side-eyeing people that have got relaxed/texlaxed hair
- Religiously attending every seminar, workshop, convention, meet-up, communion targeted at ‘Naturals’
- Concocting hair products in my kitchen
- Rocking a TWA
This has just been my thought-process the entire time, I am probably going to be the must unnatural #TeamNatural member! And please note I said things you will NOT catch me doing…. I won’t say ‘Never’ 😉
Also, any fellow #TeamNatural members reading this post, please leave a comment recommending the products you use that you think are absolutely amazing!